The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

EARLY &$%*#!! WAKEUP CALL
Some jackass making just enough noise with his car managed to wake me from my slumber at 5AM this morning.

I typically tell people that, once I wake up, I can't get back to sleep no matter what (and along with that, once I settle into sleep, I can't wake up after a short period of time and feel anything but exhausted--thus, naps don't work for me). Over the past couple of years, I've found that to not be exactly true. It does hold true after I've gotten a certain amount of sleep, probably around six hours or so. In the case of last night, I didn't get to bed until about 1AM, so being woken up after only four hours of snooze means I can, indeed, hit the switch back to dreamland. But the thing is, after an interruption like that, the remainder of my sleeptime is not as sound, and so it's usually not very restful. Thus was the case today: I woke up, saw the time, then closed my eyes--and spent the next couple of hours in a groggy state of semi-sleep. When I woke up, I felt like crap. It took me all morning to shake off that feeling.

Had I been more cognizant during that unintended wakeup call, I would have turned on the TV and watched the Devil Rays whup up on the Yankees 8-3, live from Tokyo. At least then I could have gotten some use out of that awakening.

Now I'm wondering if that game's 5AM start time had any connection with that anonymous jackass who woke me up.