The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, March 21, 2004

DON'T DRINK THE DASANI
Do you swear by bottled water? Do you blanche at the thought of drinking iffy tap water, like Liz and others do? Then wake up, because Coca-Cola has been exposed in the UK of filling its Dasani bottles with nothing but common Thames River water, that's full of toxins despite the processing they apply.

It's what I've pretty much always suspected: Bottled water is a rip-off. I remember years ago, in an office I worked in, some chump water delivery guy (I forgot the company) bragging about how good his outfit was, because he'd worked for a couple of others, and they both used to routinely fill their water-cooler bottles at the tap, sans any treatment. Of course, his current company did nothing of the sort. Right.

Technically, Dasani isn't billed as "pure" additive-free water. Coca-Cola touts that, in addition to the reverse osmosis they do to it, they pump in additional vitamins and minerals. That's not the case with their main competition, PepsiCo's Aquafina--that's sold as filtered, unadulterated H2O. I guess I believe them, because I use three bottles of it every week to change out the water in the tank of my office pet, Phil the betta. Hey, I've been using it for a couple of years, and he's not dead yet--quite the opposite, unusually frisky for such a little fish.