The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

DATELINE DONALD TRUMP
fire him
"Dateline NBC" is planning a couple of hours of coverage on Donald Trump and his NBC show "The Apprentice", causing some clucking about the supposed news show pimping itself as a promotional infomercial.
[Former NBC News president Larry] Grossman, in a speech he gave recently at Louisiana State University, said that except for 60 Minutes, prime-time network newsmagazines have abandoned news "for a continuing diet of frivolous nonfiction entertainment that focuses on the latest rape victim, child kidnapping, rock star profile, Hollywood scandal and movie opening."
Is this supposed to be a revelation? My mindset, ever since I was a kid, was that all the newsmagazines are not even remotely related to real news. They've been sensationalistic crapola for as long as I can remember, and I'd even toss "60 Minutes" in there. I don't expect any better from these types of pseudo-news programs; they've been a lost cause for decades.