The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, March 28, 2004

CONTEMPORARY CROSSCURRENTS
chaotic
Nearly two months after first eyeing it, I finally got myself over to Tampa to see the Tampa Museum's "Crosscurrents at Century's End: Selections from the Neuberger Berman Art Collection" exhibit.

Loved it. Surprisingly for me, I liked the paintings/sculptures a lot more than the photography. Partly, that's because there were roughly twice as many paintings as there were photos, so there was more opportunity for range with the paintings. But for the most part, the photography was rather ordinary, I thought; and I tend to prefer photography in general. Probably the only photos I thought were exceptional were Anna Gaskell's "Untitled #36 (Hide)" and a series of pictures taken from a laundromat machine re-rigged into a stop-motion camera (can't remember the artist's name).

The collection of paintings had a good range, with a generous use of color being the common theme for most. Lots of very bold expressions, with a decidedly contemporary edge. One of my favorites was Michael Bevilacqua's "Do You Remember the First Time?", laden with pop-cultural references and commercial logo work.

I wish I had had the foresight to take notes while I was there; there were a bunch of pieces and artists that I can't remember now. Maybe I'll go back later this week; can't wait too long, as the exhibit leaves town on April 11th.