The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, February 22, 2004

THE RANDOM 20
Here's a thing going around:

Step 1: Open your MP3 player.
Step 2: Put all of your music on random.
Step 3: Write down the first 20 songs it plays, no matter how embarrassing.

Well, since the random/shuffle setting is the default for my iPod, this should be pretty easy. I'm not going to add hyperlinks to these results, or even offer running commentary; if you're that interested in any song title or artist, search away.

So let's do this:

1. "Dancing Queen", ABBA
2. "Love For Sale", Talking Heads
3. "Boom! I Got Your Boyfriend", 20 Fingers
4. "What Goes On", Velvet Underground
5. "War In A Babylon", Max Romeo
6. "Above The Clouds", Amber
7. "Never Enough (Big mix)", The Cure
8. "The Emperor's New Clothes", Sinead O'Connor
9. "Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel", South Park (Kyle Broflofski)
10. "What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1 - Blue Sky Revisit) - Transmission 3", DJ Shadow
11. "I Saw Three Ships", South Park (Shelly Marsh)
12. "Torture", KMFDM
13. "Aishiteru", Starecase
14. "Caught, Can We Get A Witness", Public Enemy
15. "All Apologies", Nirvana
16. "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding", Elvis Costello
17. "Running On Empty", Jackson Browne
18. "Mr. Jones", Talking Heads
19. "Surrender", Cheap Trick
20. "Time To Get Ill", Beastie Boys


I'm glad the Beasties finally got in there, at No. 20. It's a fairly representative list out of the 690 songs loaded on the iPod, except maybe the lack of real techno. I'll also note that I used my iPod instead of my computer, because I always listen to that and never listen to music on my computer anymore.

(Via Dustbury.com)