The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, February 16, 2004

NOT KARAOKE, BUT MOVIEOKE
I've never really taken to karaoke. The embarassment factor is part of it, as well as lack of confidence in my singing voice (although I've often suspected that I'm not as terrible as I think I am, my tone-deafness aside). Mostly, I don't think I get enough enjoyment from music in general to really get the full effect from a night of rousing wannabe rock-stardom.

Now, movies... fuggedaboutit. I love movies. Eat 'em up with a spoon. I am a cine-file. I can re-enact notable movie scenes, and their pertinent dialogue lines, at the drop of a hat. So I'm thinking the growing movieoke phenomenon is right up my alley.

I got dibs on Al Pacino in Scarface. Any scene will do, since the odds are the word "fuck" will be well-represented.

Here's an amazing coincidence: The club where movieoke took off, the Den of Cin, is actually part of the New York City landmark, the Two Boots! Go figure. My brother took me to Two Boots Pizzeria years ago, when he was living in Alphabet City. I got a kick out of the funky names they gave their pies; the Larry Tate and Mr. Pink varieties especially stood out for me. I understand Two Boots has become sort of a tourist trap now; too bad.