The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, February 29, 2004

LOSE THAT SUNSCREEN, GET THAT VITAMIN D
After being whipped into a fear frenzy for years over skin cancer, people have finally started to religiously use sunscreen with ridiculously-high SDF. So everything's okay now, right?

Well, no. As is the case with most health-related issues, doing one thing here results in a deficiency in another area. In this case, that's deficiency with a capital "D"--as in the vitamin by the same letter. It turns out that all that sun protection results in a lack, sometimes severe, of vitamin D, which leads to more health problems than previously believed. You can't win for losing.

I'm happy to say that I got my vitamin D production time in earlier today, in the form of an hour of tan time by the pool. No sunscreen or other additives to come between me and that sweet, sweet sunlight.

(Skin cancer? What skin cancer?)