The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

GIRLS AND THEIR BLACK SHOES
I rarely notice much about trends in women's attire. Generally, I go with the concept of less being more, provided the gal has the bod to pull it off.

I have, however, detected the growing popularity of these sort of formless black leather shoes among the younger (teens to late-twenties) female set. I don't know enough about shoes--men's or women's styles--to adequately describe them. But from what I've seen, there's nothing special about them--they seem more functional than anything else. They're not "feminine" in the least.

And yet, when I see a girl wearing these shoes, with the appropriate jeans or pants, I can't help but look, and almost admire. The first few times this happened, I couldn't figure it out.

Then it dawned on me: They're women. I'd check them out from head to toe (with several stops between those two points) no matter what was on their feet. The male radar is sophisticated enough to filter out silly details like footwear.

I went into some detail about women and their shoes before. I'm not sure if this post validates or negates those prior thoughts.