The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, February 13, 2004

"AND THE CLOCKS WERE STRIKING THIRTEEN"
what's in a number
Miss 1984? It was a hell of a year, and an even better novel. The 1984+20 Project seeks to celebrate the latter by staging public readings of George Orwell's classic this coming April 4th--the 20th anniversary of Winston Smith's opening diary entry. (Naturally, the optimal starting time for the public readings would be 13 o'clock--or, if you prefer, 1PM.)

Do I believe we're living in Orwell's Oceania? No, and despite the changes since 9/11 and all the rhetoric from both left and right, I don't think we're even that close. But it never hurts to remind ourselves of that by indulging in a story that offers a stark contrast to our relative liberty. Eternal vigilance is often helped along through mental stimulation.

I'll have to remind myself of this when the calendar turns to April...

(Via Whump.com-More Like This)