The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, January 22, 2004

THE YEAR OF THE MONKEY
new year's party in the forbidden zone!
Happy Chinese New Year, y'all! Have another dumpling, for me.

Does it stand to reason that, this being the Year of the Monkey, we'll all be living 2004 on that terrible Planet of the Apes? And be forced to sit through countless encores of Dr. Zaius' Vegas-like stage show (adjust volume accordingly)?

(In case you couldn't tell, I really like Planet of the Apes-style humor.)

I tried to convince my lunch partner to go to a Chinese restaurant today, but that didn't fly. I do think I'll get some Chinese carryout for dinner tonight, though. My co-worker Jamie tells me that, years ago, she took a group to a Chinese restaurant one night, unaware that it was Chinese New Year. The festive atmosphere took them by surprise. The most memorable part: They all received gifts of one dollar bills, tucked into decorative envelopes! That's the kind of restaurant I want to patronize...

ADDENDUM: Well, what do you know: The original Planet of the Apes was released in 1968. 1968 was also the Year of the Monkey. Coincidence? How would I know, I was born in the Year of the Boar...