The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

VISITORS FROM PORTUGAL
As always, be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. In a good way, of course.

Last Saturday, I dashed off a post about the "Sex in Lisbon" blog and the ungodly amount of comments it attracts. Today, the author of that blog, SebastiĆ£o, took note of that post and reproduced it, along with a linkback to here. Naturally, his post attracted (as of this writing) 282 comentarios. Gah! (Incidentally, the blog also underwent a facelift since I originally visited it; it's definitely an improvement.)

The kicker is that some of those commenters decided to add comments to my original post. At last count, total comments are 18, easily shattering the previous record (achieved sometime during last summer's Blogathon; I think I got four for a couple of posts)!

So now, I have a bunch of Portugeuse people virtually "hanging out" on my blog's commenting system. Very Euro-national; I feel like I'm in a real-life version of L'Auberge Espagnole! Sorta. In answer to my wonderment at how so many comments could inhabit a blog, it seems they're the product of a very dedicated readership who use the comment boxes as impromptu chatrooms. That explains it! Do whatcha like and all that.

As you'll see, you can't have that many comments without getting some amount of trolling... Although I have to say, the attempted insults were more funny than hurtful, and by far the most literate zings I've ever received online (especially the Satiricon reference). And even though I know it was garbage comment, I (almost) always appreciate the offer of a blowjob.

So, let me give a shoutout and thanks to Kafka (who pointed out a couple of other sites with monstrous amounts of comment feedback, including this one, with its thousand-comments-per-post), Sofia, El_Pastor, Mergulhador, Arminda, Bufas100, Joana, Gia, Boss, and anyone else I might have missed in that carpetbombing of comments from the other side of the Atlantic. Mucho appreciado. (Am I going to attract more comments, now that I've mentioned all those people?)

I also appreciate the offers for Portugeuse lessons and the invitations to Lisbon for the Euro 2004. If you want to visit Florida, give me a shout out, and we'll go out for drinks!