The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, January 21, 2004

TRANNY WIRE FUN: GETTING RID OF EUROPE
Last week, I was sorely tempted to post a little funny something on this Canadian Football League transaction:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL) - Released safety Tom Europe; signed defensive end Tom Canada.

I passed on the opportunity, and kind of regretted doing so. I think I was striving to play off on both their names being Tom, as well as their geographical surnames, but couldn't quite pull it off.

Then today, I read the San Francisco Chronicle's Tom Fitzgerald's take on the move, and figured he nailed it much better than I ever could have:

On the same day last week, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League signed defensive lineman Tom Canada, the former Cal Bear, and cut safety Tom Europe. Team spokesman Shawn Coates told the Winnipeg Free Press: "We promised we'd trim our roster. So we cut a continent and signed a country."