The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

RECOGNITION AND GROCERIES
I got a little surprise just now when I made a trip to the grocery store for dinner. I ran into a girl, named Dawn, who used to live a couple of buildings over; we lost touch, and she moved out about two or three years ago. I almost didn't recognize her; we were passing by, made eye contact, smiled a little at each other--she recognized me first--and a second later, it clicked in my head. Turns out she moved to south Tampa, which is a real hipster part of town. She looked great; she always was a little cutie.

The funny thing: After parting ways, I went about my shopping and through the checkout line. The whole rest of the time in the store, I kept doing doubletakes on just about everyone around me, imagining that a flash of recognition would occur to me. I guess I was subconsciously on alert for the same thing to happen with someone else as had happened with Dawn. Rationally speaking, that would have been an unlikely coincidence, but I couldn't help it.