The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, January 04, 2004

OOPS, SHE DID IT AGAIN
i wanted a quickie
Let this be a lesson to you, kids: You spend all night partying it up in Vegas, you're bound to do something really stupid like get married. Britney Spears got hitched over the weekend in Sin City to childhood friend Jason Allen Alexander, and upon sobering up, got it annulled.

Jason Allen Alexander... That's awfully close to Jason Alexander, who played George Costanza on "Seinfeld"! Now that would have really been a story! (Too bad "Jason Alexander" is only Costanza's stage name.)

I'm guessing Britney wanted a little bang-bang action, but didn't want to do it out of wedlock (again), so figured this was one way to do it. Or not.

Actually, I commend Ms. Spears for walking down the aisle. As a celebrity, it's important to get your first marriage out of the way.

In a somewhat more serious look at this momentous event, swirlspice takes note of the inequity in Britney being able to have an effortless "I do" while others can't:

And I'm not the first person, nor will I be the last, to point out what a complete crock of shit it is that she (and plenty of other heterosexual people) can run off to Vegas (or anywhere, really), and get married for any fucking reason at all. But I can't get married, even if I jump through all the arbitrary hoops and clear all the arbitrary hurdles and *gasp* have someone I love that I want to make that commitment to.