The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, January 25, 2004

LET THE JUICING BEGIN
juiced up
So today, I got the opportunity to try out my new Juicit Citrus Juicer. I got it after cashing in my prize points from one of the survey programs in which I participate; it was a toss-up between that and a DVD movie of my choice, and despite being tempted by a couple of titles, I figured I'd go for something I wouldn't normally buy for myself.

I was a little disappointed when I realized that this was strictly a citrus juicer, instead of a general fruit/vegetable food juicer. It wasn't clear from the original product description on the order form; I didn't care too much, but was crossing my fingers that it would be a general juicer. I have a friend who swears by his juicer: He liquifies celery, pears, apples, bananas, etc. several times a week. In fact, he was going to give me a juicer recipe book to get me started; considering I'm limited to just citrus, I don't think I'll be needing that now.

Anyway, the setup was easy enough, and I had about a dozen tree-picked tangerines in my fridge ready to get juiced. It took about five minutes to slice them into halves, push them down onto the motorized reamer, and let extract the juice. The resulting 20 ounces of juice was relatively seed and pulp free. It was a lot less work than I thought it would be, and the cleanup--the part I was really dreading--was pretty easy.

So, I have yet another gadget in the cupboard. I suppose I'll make modest use of it, until the novelty fades. Still, as long as it's not a pain to clean, I'm hoping I don't get tired of it too quickly.