The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, January 31, 2004

"JUST REPEAT TO YOURSELF, IT'S JUST A SHOW..."
mads love
It's finally happened: "Mystery Science Theater 3000", which was cancelled five years ago but has lingered on in reruns, is going off the air, seemingly for good.

How much do I enjoy this show, even though I've seen every episode that the Sci-Fi Channel had dozens of times? Here's a hint: It's the only reason I don't sleep in on Saturday mornings, instead getting up at 9AM to catch it. Yes, it's that good, and I'm that pathetic. I suppose the bright side is that I can now sleep in on Saturdays on a regular basis. Seems like scant compensation, though.

I was unaware, until yesterday, that today was the end. There had been rumors ever since the original episodes ended in 1999 that Sci-Fi would pull the plug at some point; I think it's amazing that it's maintained it's life-after-death existence for this long. It had definitely become untenable, because the rights to many of the original movies they used had expired, and re-purchasing those rights just didn't make sense (thus the ever-decreasing number of reruns they could air). It was just a matter of time.

I'm not the only one saddened by this departure: MSNBC's Gael Fashingbauer Cooper shares reaction from several fans. I'm also holding out hope that Comedy Central somehow will pick up the series and air the reruns (I don't need new episodes, the old ones that Comedy Central still has the rights to will be enough); but I'm not expecting it.

The last episode being aired is The Screaming Skull. It's not one of the better ones, although the Gumby short at the episode's beginning was great. Personally, I would have preferred a 70s-80s piece of debris, like It Lives By Night (aka The Bat People) or Werewolf. Fortunately, I have both those gem episodes on tape.

Digging through this blog's archives, I'm a little surprised that I haven't written more about MST3K--I've found only five references. I guess this makes six. I'll close out with a post that has little to do with the show directly, but is fully within the spirit of Joel, Mike and the 'Bots: My steak-cooking abilities and Michael J. Nelson's "Socratic Dialogue... With A Steak".