The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, January 31, 2004

GIGANTIC MUTANT PAPAYAS: TASTE TEST
invasion of the body snatchers
I just sliced open that over-developed papaya that awed me last week. During the ripening process, the skin had gone from the deep green seen above to mostly mottled yellow. The fruit pulp inside was the usual light red you'd expect from a papaya; it didn't look any different from a regular papaya. And of course, a ton of easily-removable seeds.

I have to say I was disappointed. It didn't taste particularly flavorful; in fact, it seemed to have a bit less tang than a regular papaya. I also tried to zip it with some lime juice, but it didn't really help. It's possible I let it ripen a day or two too long. But I also seem to recall something about larger varieties of a fruit, in general, having a less robust taste than their smaller counterparts. That may be the case with the red lady papaya.

It was still worth picking it up, if only for the novelty. But I think I'll pass on it next time it's on display. I'll go back to the regular kind.