The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, January 03, 2004

AN AFTERNOON AT WEEDON
weedin'
I decided to go for a little hike at Weedon Island today. It was too nice of a day to not do it; it's just started to warm up again after our (thankfully) brief Winter, so it was a nice 75ish degrees for my exercise. Besides, I hadn't been there since my last Weedon hike back in November, so I was due for a little reconnect with fairly abundant nature.

As I was driving down the road onto Weedon, there were quite a few cars in front of me. I figured at first that others had the same idea I did, but soon noticed that all the cars in front of me had canoes and kayaks strapped to them. It dawned on me: The local paper had just yesterday featured Weedon, along with other spots in the Tampa Bay area, as a primo canoeing area. So people who probably never even knew this nature preserve even existed before now were now descending on it. That's great, but I was a bit annoyed: My little secret spot was now going to be more crowded! What can you do...

Anyway, it was a decent three hours. I managed to find a path that took me right up to the water; I think it was the Bay, but I wasn't quite sure of my bearings at the time. I also found what looked like a hidden path: It was fairly overgrown, with lots of spider webs draped across it. I tracked it for about a half-mile, then figured it might be a little too challenging for me today. I'll have to remember where the entrance was and go the whole way next time.

I think I need to invest in some real hiking gear. My crosstrainers are okay for the terrain, but not great; and I need something better in the way of shorts/pants and other outdoors clothing. Maybe a good hiking stick too.