The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, December 24, 2003

SOUR ORANGES
pucker, sucker
In the vein of News of the Weird, the 14th Annual Sour Orange Awards celebrates 2003's most ludicrous news stories from the Sunshine State.

Lots of funny-funny here. I'm not sure I can pick a favorite, but this one comes close:

HEAVY LIFTING: Two Florida Atlantic University researchers who published a paper on detecting plagiarism were accused of plagiarism.

From an online design standpoint, I have to offer this critique: Why didn't the St. Pete Times provide hyperlinks to each story's original article? Links to the originals occurred to me while I was reading this list in the print newspaper; I checked out the online version hoping to find it laden with links, but alas, it wasn't. I'm betting most, and maybe all, of these items appeared in the Times during the year, and so should be archived on their site. I think this is a good example of a missed opportunity for what the online edition can add to a story.