The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, December 01, 2003

RICHARD PRYOR AIN'T DEAD YET
And thank God for that. I'm watching the Richard Pryor tribute special on Comedy Central, and digging the reminiscences. Although I have to say--and this isn't dismissing his great body of work--I think the praise is getting a bit overindulgent. Maybe it's just the negative mood I'm in.

Anyway, Richard Pryor will always occupy a special place in my heart, because he was one of the featured stars in the very first R-rated movie I ever saw in a theater: Stir Crazy. I was all of nine years old, and pulled what I thought, and probably was, a pretty ballsy move in marching right up to the ticket counter and asking for a ticket in. The movie was disappointing only in that there was very little of the rampant nudity I expected out of a rated-R production. But it pretty much compensated for that with an insane amount of cursing. To this day, I consider excessive cursing in a movie or TV show as a strong foundation to quality comedy (accounting for overall skill, of course).