The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, December 13, 2003

KAYA: FIRST LOOK
Today I went to visit my friends Tom and Amber and, most importantly, their newly-arrived daughter, Kaya. Turns out I was the first-ever visitor--first in the gate!

As I expected, she's a tiny little thing. I was still taken aback at how small she was, but not as much as I was when I last met a newborn (my friends Kirby and Angela's now-one-year-old girl). I guess I was more prepared this time, being in a hospital environment and all.

She's as cute as a two-day-old can be. She had a lot of hair for an infant, and very dark. She's not even able to really cry yet, as her lungs aren't developed enough to let out the appropriate scream. I'm sure she'll pick up that trick within days.

The mom was pretty out of it, on drugs and still recovering. They'll all be heading home tomorrow and settling in.