The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, December 09, 2003

HEBREW HAMMER: AFTERMATH
baddest heeb this side of tel aviv
So, I caught the much-anticipated premiere of The Hebrew Hammer last night.

The verdict? Fair. It wasn't terrible, but it could have been so much better. I don't think they went far enough to capture the blaxploitation atmosphere they were supposed to be parodying. The story seemed pretty thin and stretched-out, which I was surprised at considering the rich vein of humor it had at its disposal. And I think Andy Dick was pretty much a dud.

On the bright side, I really liked Judy Greer as the female lead; she's cute and more than held her own. The scenes with Mordechai's mother were probably the best ones of the whole film--perfectly captured the Jewish mother-son dynamic (made me wonder if there wasn't some Jewishness in my family, frankly).

A Jewish co-worker also caught Hammer; I think she outright hated it, and she had been looking forward to it. She had originally thought this was going to be a series, not a one-shot movie, and she wondered if such a series could sustain itself, given that the humor addressed such a narrow niche. Since the movie seemed so padded, I guess that'd be a valid concern, at least with the same creative team behind it.