The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, November 20, 2003

TAKING IT ALL WITH YOU--TO COLLEGE
Kids today. Rather than suffer the potential separation anxiety from the worldly goods mommy and daddy bought for them, they pack it all up and take it with them to college, where the institutions end up having to up the power ampage to cope.

I guess the concept of using college as an opportunity to start fresh has gone out of style.

All I can think of is that, when I arrived at my college in 1989 as a freshman, things were so primitive that we didn't even have cable TV in the dorms (gasp!). I like to bring that up with colleagues now, to illustrate how I experienced a taste of the campus dark ages. I guess we compensated by drinking heavily and having unprotected sex; I know I did.

We did get cable hookups in the dormrooms and the common lounges the very next year, though; and I immediately noticed the decline in casual group get-togethers in the dorms as a result.