The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, November 15, 2003

SHAPEWEAR DOES WONDERS FOR YOUR BUTT
No sooner do I wonder about what the heck "shapewear" is, and get my answer (thanks Liz), than I see a television commercial promoting Silkies.

I take it this is what shapewear is all about--tummy-tuck control, curve-enhancement, etc. Hey, beats going to the gym!

One thing: The commercial, which had production values just a hair above K-Tel top-hits records, threw me a curveball by making casual but frequent use of the word "butt". Like, "do you wish your butt looked better?" It caught me a bit off-guard. I guess I'm not used to hearing that word in an everyday low-grade commercial. I think it reveals a lack of solid copywriting, though. There are less blunt terms for the buttocks: Backside, posterior, rear...