The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, November 05, 2003

SEE YOU TOMORROW, AND YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT?
On the way home tonight, I swung through the drive-thru at Arby's. It's been a long while since I've hit a fast food joint like that; just had the craving tonight.

Once I got my order, the girl at the window handed me my change, checked if I wanted any extra sauce (I didn't), and gave me a nice little "thank you". Then, after a pause that indicated she forgot something, added, "See you tomorrow!".

Now, there are three possibilities I can think of for my getting that last little comment:

- She wanted me. (And the sad thing is, I'd probably nail her.)
- I have the mark of a pathetic loser who eats fast food three meals a day. (D'oh!)
- Part of her training is to tack that on as a subtle enticement to encourage mucho repeat business.

I'm gonna go with the third option. I do so because I seem to recall that I got that same exact goodbye the last time I went through a drivethru, many moons ago. It annoyed me then, and it pretty much annoyed me now, due to a combination of reasons two and three above.

I'm too drained to do the research now, but I'm betting that the "see you tomorrow" is the latest version of the "you want fries with that" fastfood hook. It seems like a little incentive sales push some marketing schlub thought up to boost sales. The stilted delivery by the girl tonight kind of gave it away.