The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, November 10, 2003

HEARTFELT SPLENDOR
movie star
I caught American Splendor tonight, nearly ten months after first writing about it and looking forward to seeing it. (Hey, that's life in a non-select city; Tampa Bay's not New York or Los Angeles.)

I enjoyed it. It was pretty much what I expected, and I was fine with that. Paul Giamatti was a good casting decision as Harvey; he did a good job playing the misanthropic grouch you can't help but love. I liked how the real Pekar was injected into the film too.

I think the opening scene with the superheroes was a deft touch, and set an appropriate tone for the whole movie; plus, it was a nice little bone to toss to us comic book enthusiasts. It was s great way to convey how out of sync Pekar's work is with the perceived status quo in comics, and really with Harvey and life in general.