The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, November 21, 2003

THE DORK SIDE OF TIVO
Speaking of Tivo, some devotees of the wondrous box are finding that they're getting overloaded with hours of television recordings that they feel obligated to watch. Ironically, the device that was supposed to free up more of their time has instead tied more of it up.

On one hand, I can sympathize. I feel the same way whenever I tape a program: It's almost like a homework assignment I have to watch. This is idiotic, because what's on the tape is always something that I wanted to watch, to the point where I went to the trouble to set up the VCR recording process; but for some reason, that's the feeling I associate with firing up the VCR. By extension, I rarely ever rent movies, pretty much for the same reason (and on those occasions when I do, I only rent one movie at a time). Catching something as it's being broadcast, while demanding in terms of time commitment, takes the decision out of my hands, and therefore makes it easier to experience.

On the other hand... Are these people morons? If the Tivo is pulling in too much stuff, then change the settings. Why create more headaches for yourself?

I'd have to say this is the most pathetic case study of them all:

"I get to the point now where I skip going to the gym so I can keep up with watching 'Dawson's Creek' reruns," which are broadcast for two hours each day, [Kevin Coto] said. "I look forward to when they end so I won't be stressed."

News flash, Kevin: YOU'RE RECORDING RERUNS! Reruns of A CANCELLED SHOW! Not only are they episodes you've probably already seen at least 2 or 3 times each, but they're very likely going to be broadcast again and again and again, for years to come. Not to mention that you could always get them on DVD, or burn them to disc yourself. This is the stupidest reason I can imagine for taking time out for television viewing. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Kevin is borderline addicted.