The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, November 28, 2003

BACK IN TIME FOR KUROSAWA
I'm back from New York! The only way to visit family: Arrive Wednesday, leave Friday. Just barely enough time to have Thanksgiving dinner and see family members, not enough time for them to get on my nerves (or me on theirs). Didn't even have enough time to get that bored.

The weather is turning pretty foul back here at the homestead, so going out is not looking like a good option. Plus, I've spent eight or so hours travelling, and while I'm not particularly worn out at the moment, I feel as though I'll hit a wall pretty soon.

But before that happens... I see that Turner Classic Movies is having an Akira Kurosawa festival tonight. I've already missed Seven Samurai, but I can try to pull an all-nighter by watching Yojimbo and Throne of Blood. Throne of Blood especially appeals to me, as it's a Macbeth adaptation, one of my favorite Shakespeare plays.

Eh, why not? I've got nothing planned for tomorrow.

I couldn't figure why they decided to show a samurai filmfest tonight, until I saw Tom Cruise in a between-films segment just now. This is all promotional support for the soon-to-be released The Last Samurai. Always gotta have a commercial tie-in. Actually, Last Samurai looks promising; I'm a Civil War buff, and something of a fan of Japanese history too.