The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, November 23, 2003

AUDREY TAUTOU AND MADSTONE
oolala
After spending yesterday at a boat show, and subsequently being wiped out for the rest of the evening, I visited Madstone Theater in Tampa for the last day of their free movie weekend. I got to see Amélie for the very first time. I liked it a lot more than I anticipated; it was a whimsical fairy tale through Paris, with the lovely Audrey Tautou portraying a sad but determined good samaritan who ultimately gets what she deserves.

On the way out of the theater, I considered: I've seen, comparatively, a lot of movies featuring Audrey Tautou. In addition to today's flick, I've seen He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not, L'Auberge Espagnole, and Venus Beauty Institute. Four might not seem like many, but for an actress who's appeared exclusively in European cinema, it is. I guess it marks me as an art house goon. It also signifies that Tautou is the Euro-"It" girl of the moment, and with her pixie-ish good looks and charm, she'll likely be in that spot for a few years.

I had intended to make a full afternoon of it and catch Y Tu Mamá También right after Amélie. However, I somehow lost my weekend pass, and so would have had to fill out another form to get a new one, and I didn't feel like going through the hassle. Besides, I had already seen Y Tu Mamá months ago, and while I would have liked to see it again, it was no loss. So I hit the Tampa Museum of Art to see the Toulouse-Latrec exhibit (it was good, but I expected more; I'm a big poster art fan), then headed to a dinner get-together at a friend's house.