The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, September 23, 2003

CLOSE ENCOUNTER OF THE BUCCANEERS KIND
buc-aroos league
On the way home from work today, I stopped at the grocery store. I spied a much larger-than-usual number of cars filling the mall shopping center's parking lot, mostly centered on the Beall's department store. My curiosity got the better of me, and I headed into the store.

Once inside, I saw a bunch of people milling around excitedly. I rounded a corner, and found myself only a few feet away from Pro Bowl cornerback Ronde Barber. To his left was a long line of people waiting to get various items, mostly jerseys and t-shirts, signed.

I suppose if I listened to sportstalk radio, I would have known of this. It might also have been in the morning's paper, but I don't remember coming across it. Just as well, as the way I found out about this sports celebrity appearance made it a nice little surprise to end the day. What's more, I was talking on the phone with a friend while I was making my way through the store, so I was able to give some play-by-play.

I did not get in line. Ronde's a great player, but I wasn't in the mood to wait around for more than an hour for some ink, Superbowl credentials notwithstanding. I'm not much for sports memorabilia anyway.