The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, September 21, 2003

ALL MY PRETTY PICTURES
Anyone who dives through this blog's archives over the next couple of weeks (or more) will find a bunch of pages with broken image links. My apologies. The missing pics are a result of my recent migration from dial-up Internet service to DSL. I'd been using the Web storage space that came with my dial-up account to store the images (both photos and graphics) I use with my posts. With many of my posts, it turns out...

So, now that I've got a new ISP, I've had to transfer all those images to my new Web storage account. This was accomplished fairly easily, once I got my hands on the right FTP client software. The big pain in the butt now is to go through the archives' code, through Blogger, and change the hyperlinks for each and every image file that had been housed through my old ISP. (During the first month of this blog's existence, approximately mid-August to mid-September, I was just hotlinking to images hosted on external sites; some of those links are still good, some aren't. I'm not going to worry about them.)

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be an easy way to do this--like, doing a search-and-replace throughout all the pages (I've preserved most of the original file names, with notable exceptions for the sports team GIFs). Unless someone can clue me in on a better, less time-consuming method (note: I'm aware that Movable Type and other blogging setups probably make this easier, so no need to bring them up), it looks like I'll have to go through every single day of the archives and change the appropriate code in every post that has an image. Ugh.

Since we're looking at a year's worth of posts, with daily postings, it's going to take a while. I'm going to do it little by little, so as not to completely lose my mind. Thank you for your cooperation.

One positive out of this: I am getting a kick out of revisiting some ancient posts.