The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, August 22, 2003

TOWARD A MARXIST-LENINIST THEORY ON
SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK

dialectic junction
While we're wallowing in the 70s, let's look back upon Schoolhouse Rock. I'm not sure how much I learned from it; probably the main thing that sticks with me is that, to this day, I cannot read the preamble of the Constitution without having the SR musical version of it running in my head. But no doubt, I remember it fondly, and I know I'm far from alone on that.

Imagine my shock, then, to uncover the obscure Red Shadow (The Economics Rock & Roll Band) - Understanding Marx recording. If you listen to it, you can clearly hear the roots of the Schoolhouse musical style. Friendly communism propaganda, delivered in a warm, fuzzy, mellow-rock wrapping. It must be true--the media is a bunch of pinkos!