The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, August 31, 2003

TO SLEEP
I didn't wake up today until about ten minutes before noon. I didn't get to sleep until a little after 2AM, so that's almost ten hours of snooze. That's really incredible. I've gotten so accustomed over the years to getting minimal amounts of sleep that, even when I try to sleep in for extended periods, I end up waking up after only 6-7 hours just out of habit, or due to some normally ignorable noise (I'm amazed that didn't happen today, from outside or from my idiot upstairs neighbors).

The funny thing is, I wasn't even particularly tired last night. In fact, I kind of had to force myself to put my head on the pillow; the only reason I didn't stay up later was that I couldn't come up with a solid enough reason to do so. I guess my body was making up for accumulated sleep loss.

I still have the nagging feeling that I've wasted away half the day, as I often do on those rare occasions when I sleep in. But there's really no reason to think that. It's Sunday, the middle of Labor Day weekend, and the only halfway-concrete plans I had today was a little window shopping and laundry.