The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, August 18, 2003

TINY ASPIRIN BOTTLE
topcap-heavy
I've been out of aspirin for a while now, and I would have replenished my supply long ago, except it's one of those items I continually forget to pick up at the grocery store.

But on my last trip to the store, I did remember I needed a bottle. I looked for the smallest bottle I could find, and got that. Above is a close representation of what that bottle looks like; only the label on mine is different (if you look closely, the bottle in the photo has a Bayers Children label on it; being beyond the age limit for children's aspirin, I opt for the adult dosage nowadays).

Isn't that bottle the most ridiculous thing you've ever seen? The child-proof cap looks gargantuan atop that teensy-tiny little bottle. When I took it out of its box and saw it, I had to laugh. It struck me as funny.

Why did I buy such a small bottle (only 24 tablets in it)? It's not because I'm cheap, although it's nice to pay less. While I like to have the stuff in the house for the occasional headache, I tend not to have enough of those that would cause me to use up a big supply of aspirin. I've bought "regular" size bottle of aspirin (like 75-100 tablets) in the past, only to have them sit in my medicine cabinet for years until they finally go bad. Yes, seriously. Even with an expiration date 2-3 years in the future, the last couple of aspirin bottles I've bought have not been even half-used-up before I've had to chuck them in the trash. (Expired aspirin smells terrible, like stale vinegar.) So, I figure this tiny supply will last me a couple of years, and hopefully won't expire before I empty the bottle.

Did you know that, despite being around for over a century, aspirin still produces side effects and symptoms that doctors have yet to figure out? That's the case with aspirin, for crying out loud--what most people consider to be the most mild curative drug. They haven't even doped out a drug that's been in wide use for over a hundred years, and now they're aggressively pushing all sorts of new crap as cure-all solutions. That's why I'm highly skeptical of the modern medical profession.