The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, August 25, 2003

SPIKE TV: WHO CARES?
It's been nearly two months since I last wrote of Spike TV, after a good long stream of following their sad exploits in attempting to finally launch.

Still, all that is in the past, and Spike, the self-styled First Network for Men, is chugging along. What's the verdict? As far as Gary Dretzka is concerned, it's been much ado about nada.

Gary laments that all the hype about how Spike was going to be a haven for cool, ballsy programming has dissolved into endless reruns of crap like "Blind Date" and Star Trek Voyager/Deep Space/whatever, with lame-o animated stuff slipped in during latenight. What makes it even more pathetic is that the programmers had months to get all this together, and ended up with a result that looks like it was cobbled together in a couple of weeks.

Not that I had great hopes for Spike, but I recognized this garbage trend early on, too; I deleted the channel's listing off my online programming guide when it was apparent that all they were going to show was old James Bond movies, which aren't my bag, baby.

I maintain the channel is cursed, and no amount of retooling is going to make it successful. Rather than put UPN in the guillotine, Viacom ought to put this puppy to sleep.