The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, August 24, 2003

MTV MAGAZINE
How is it this took so long to happen? MTV has announced it's launching, on a trial basis, it's own MTV-branded music/lifestyle magazine, with the first issue coming in October.

I don't understand why MTV and corporate parent Viacom didn't think of this before. It screams synergy. Magazines aren't exactly dead to the youth market; if the male demographic is hard to crack, girls are a proven magazine-consuming group.

I guess there's Rolling Stone to consider, not to mention Spin, Vibe and Blender. Music mags can be a rough business; I recall reading years ago, when Spin was sold to a new investment group, that that magazine had never even come close to turning a profit in it's first ten years of existence, despite tons of money pumped into it. Still, with the gigantic Viacom machine behind it, the initial losses can be easily absorbed; the question is how long they want to absorb them.

I'm expecting some wild designs for MTV Magazine. I can't wait to see it.