The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, August 22, 2003

I LOVE THE 70s, OR, MALAISE FOREVER
19751976
19771978
I think I have a BIG problem.

I've been watching VH1's I Love the 70s since a little after 6PM. I'm still watching it now, as I blog this.

And I cannot pull myself away.

I mean, there's an NFL preseason game on the other channel, and I'm not able to tear myself away from reminiscences about Stretch Armstrong, What's Happening!!, Wonder Woman, mood rings and Studio 54. Granted, it's only preseason, but still...

Why am I mesmerized by a bunch of dweebs (including the annoyingly smarmy Michael Ian Black, who seems to be on this thing wayyyyyyyy too much) sharing their 30-year-old memories? I think for me, and others who were born during the 70s, it's due to a sense of having missed out on all the fun. I mean, I was there during that groovy era, having been born in 1971. But really, I wasn't. Not really. I was a little kid, and it took pretty much the entire decade to achieve some sort of general awareness of life. Thus, when I starting coming of age in the 80s and 90s, I came to a slow realization that a whole bunch of great stuff flew way over my head back in the day. It really makes that time seem magical. (I suppose if I were born ten years earlier, I would have felt that way about the 60s; or not.)

All I know is, it's taken me just about an hour to write this friggin' post, because I keep getting distracted by a new segment on this show. Ye gods.