The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, August 19, 2003

DAMN DIRTY APES!
mixmaster cornelius
Oh joy! AMC is having an evening with the Planet of the Apes! It started at 8 o'clock with the original that started it all, then follows up at 10 with the second installment, Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

I'm embarassed to say how many times I've seen these flicks. I have fond memories of what was probably my first exposure to them (though likely not my first exposure to the characters, who spawned so much pop cultural debris). Back in the early-to-mid 80s, the local ABC affliate in New York periodically would show all five of the films on weekday afternoons, right as I'd get home from school. What could be better viewing entertainment for a pre-adolescent boy?

(Incidentally, I'm betting POTA is directly responsible for those legions of little kids believing that "guerilla warfare" was waged by real gorillas.)

I don't think I have to even say that the originals, hokey as they were, are ten times better than the 2001 Marky Mark and the Monkey Bunch version.

Of course, the greatest, all-time best version had to be the musical extravaganza "Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want To Get Off!", starring Troy McClure as The Human! I will admit, though, that this funkified edition is no slouch, either, especially when it can offer up Dr. Zaius, Live in Concert! (WARNING: That last link is not safe for the workplace or other discreet locations; if you dare click, be sure to lower your computer speakers' volume.)