The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, August 14, 2003

BIG BLACKOUT
Well, the day came to an interesting end in the northeast. What's looking like the biggest blackout in history has struck an area of North America stretching from the New York tri-state area through to Ohio, including much of Ontario.

Naturally, times being what they are, terrorism was the first thing to come to mind. It appears that wasn't a factor; this looks to be reminiscent of the big power outage in the western U.S. in 1996. Still, the idea of knocking out a single-source power grid to cripple large population centers is pretty daunting.

I made about a half-dozen calls up to New York and Boston. I wasn't able to get through to any but one (to my parents). Most of the calls were to cellphones, and the circuits were overloaded, according to the canned message I got back. Of course, with the power out everywhere, the cellular towers that would transmit calls are all defunct, so that's the likely reason I wasn't able to get through to anyone.