The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, August 28, 2003

ADVERTISING ON DVD
Do you watch the movie trailers on that DVD you rent or buy? According to a new study from Knowledge Networks, 55% of you do.

Two thoughts on this:

- I notice that the writeup doesn't indicate whether those questioned said they actually liked watching those ads; it simply says that, yes, they admitted they do watch them. I realize that actively watching suggests you consciously want to watch, but that leads into my second thought...

- I believe that a lot of DVDs are set up so that you can't help but watch the ads and other crap they put on the discs. You can't skip over the ads, or even fast-forward past them when the disc is initially loading up. I know for sure that Disney rigged this a couple of years ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were still doing it.

So, if this is the case for a lot of DVDs, then these results don't mean shit. Polling a captive audience is pointless. The observation that movie ads might be more effective than a soda ad, as brought up by Jon Swallen at Universal McCann, is solid reasoning, but again, means nothing if the ads run no matter what.