The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, August 17, 2003

50 SHEKEL
the kosher mc
(Thanks Memepool) If you're a rap fan--and good for you if you are!--but chart toppers like 50 Cent aren't kosher enough for you, there's good news: 50 Shekel is in the hizz-ouse. The tizz-emple, even.

Who is 50 Shekel? According to his bio, he is "the new Jewish hip-hop artist of his generation".

Hmmm... Let me go out on a limb and assume that he's the only Jewish hip-hop artist of his generation. I admit I'm not down with the latest and greatest on the rap scene, but I'd like to think that if there was a burgeoning Jewish rap movement, I'd have caught wind of it. Who is this guy's competition supposed to be, the Adam Horowitz-fronted Beastie Boys?

By the way, in case you're slow on the uptake: The shekel is the name of the currency in Israel, both in ancient times and today. 50 Cent, 50 Shekel.... get it? Good.