The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, July 24, 2003

WORDS AND PICTURES (AND REACTIONISM)
The news that the Secret Service is going after a political cartoonist over a thinking-man's Bush cartoon is enough to chill my blood. Even disavowal of the incident from the highest reaches doesn't make me feel better.

I could get into the insane environment that helped this come to pass. I could point out that the fault in these instances doesn't lie with the Secret Service, FBI and CIA, who are carrying out the functions they are rightly built for; but rather with their civilian overseers, who are obviously dropping the ball. I could point out that the fact that the cartoon was meant to show support for Bush shouldn't matter any more than if it was anti-Bush. I could expound on lots of related things.

Instead, I'm going to invoke the picture-worth-a-thousand-words clause. I present the well-known (although apparently, not well-known enough) photo from 1968 Vietnam that helped shape U.S. public opinion on that war, alongside the offending cartoon that used the photo as inspiration. You be da judge, if you dare.
reality
perception