The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, July 26, 2003

WHAT IS A MONDEGREEN?
(blogathon 2003)
Yes, I know you were wondering all this time.

monĀ·deĀ·green - n. A series of words that result from the mishearing or misinterpretation of a statement or song lyric. For example, I led the pigeons to the flag for I pledge allegiance to the flag.


It's an obscure word, but considering how often you, or people you know, screw up song lyrics, it should be in wider use. The thing is, etymologically, it's not a word that has particularly good flow. I think a substitute word should be devised for us hoi polloi.

Dr. Ink, while not being swift on identifying the word, does offer some amusing musical and non-musical examples. In addition to revealing the mystery, feedback comments include more examples.

Now, 'scuse me while I kiss this guy--er, kiss the sky.