The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, July 26, 2003

UPDATED IPOD FIRMWARE
(blogathon 2003)
new, improved?
So, yesterday I found out that Apple finally came out the long-awaited iPod Software 1.3 Update. I had been looking forward to loading it up on my iPod.

I installed it yesterday, opting for a full restore that would erase all the song files off the iPod. I did so because there were several corrupted files on it that I couldn't get rid of otherwise. I also intended to volume-level all the tracks so that I wouldn't have to repeatedly adjust the volume during playback, but I didn't get around that this time. Maybe next week.

Anyway, the overall results:

PROS
- The restore did kill out the corrupted files, and more importantly, the disk space they took up. So now, I've got more room to load up my own mp3s!
- A nice feature is the ability to turn the unit's backlight on and off from the main menu. You used to have to dive through a bunch of submenus to do that.
- More auto-sleep options, so you don't completely drain the battery by leaving it on without the "hold" switch in the proper position.

CONS
- NO EXTRA GAMES! As you'll see from my earlier post on this, one of the main reason I was looking forward to this was to add a couple of games to the built-in Breakout. As I understood it, the Mac version of this update includes the extra games. Apparently, that's not the case for Winpods. Bummer!
- They really didn't improve the interface much; most of the enhancements had to do with battery performance and such. Things like the browsing capabilities, on-the-fly playlists, picking next tracks to play in advance, and other things could have been beefed up (but I guess omitting just impels people to buy a new, state-of-the-art 3rd generation iPod).