The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, July 02, 2003

TURNING THE TABLES ON THE WINDOWS WORLD
wait your turn
Perhaps nothing drives home how thoroughly Windows has taken over as the world's default computer operating system as the release schedules for software updates. Everything from the newest hot videogame to the latest software patch comes out in Windows version first. Mac versions of that same software come out much, much later, or--increasingly--not at all. That's often the chief disincentive cited for not going with a Mac (or Linux, even).

I've been a Windows user for most of my adult life, not as much by choice as by convenience. My workplaces have used Windows primarily, and for personal use, it just made sense to go with a Wintel machine. I haven't experienced enough frustration from Windows to warrant switching. And so, I've pretty much been at liberty to get and use just about any type of software I've wanted.

Then, I bought an iPod. I love the little thing. But in owning it, and more importantly, owning a Windows-compatible one, I've been on the receiving end of the second-class computing citizenship Mac users are all too familiar with.

The issue is iPod Software 1.3 Update. With the advent of the third-generation dockable iPods and their new firmware, 1.3 is likely the last update the old mechanical scrollwheel iPods will ever get. As I'm in possession of the old model, I'd like to update as soon as I can.

As of this writing, the 1.3 Update has been out for a couple of months for Mac-compatible iPods. For the Windows crowd? It's still "coming soon". In other words, whenever Apple feels like releasing it.

What irony! It does tick me off. I'm not all that interested in the increased functionality the Update will give my iPod, although I am curious as to what the effect will be. My main reasons for wanting it are: To wipe clean some corrupted files that are stuck on the iPod's drive (and that I can't seem to erase otherwise); and to get the two new games that come with it! I like playing Breakout, but I'd like some variety!