The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, July 23, 2003

A TALE OF TWO TINY AIRPORTS
Who would have thought St. Petersburg and Chicago would have anything in common? Howard Troxler tells us how the two burghs are handling issues surrounding their respective municipal airports: Albert Whitted in St. Pete, and Meigs Field in Chi-town.

I don't know anything about the pro-airport movement in Chicago, other than what I read in the above column (although I think I did read something else about it at some point, in passing). If it's anything like the "Save Albert Whitted" thing here in St. Pete, it's unfathomable. I cannot understand why there's such a fervor over keeping an antiquated, tiny airport running. There can't be that many small plane owners around!

I found the tidbit that Chicago had offered its Northerly Island, the home of Meigs Field, as a proposed site for the United Nations to be interesting. The UN in Chicago? What a wacky concept.