The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, July 18, 2003

PEPSI SMASHED IN THE RATINGS
While my attitude toward advertiser-driven media content has lightened up over the past couple of years, I still bristle at the appearance of vehicles that are blatantly nothing but one long ad for some sponsor. The most high-profile example of this recently was Pepsi Smash, a heavily-hyped WB musicfest constructed by the soft drink giant.

There's a lot to retch at with this hour-long sugar-water ad. It's filled with the latest flavor-of-the-month pop acts, like the bland-as-can-be Evanescence (who's one-hit-wonder song I was sick of after one listen, and who I'm sure will make like their name soon and fade out). The host of this craptacular spectacle is Amanda Bynes, who the WB seems intent on convincing us is a hottie, despite her obvious troll-like physical appearance.

Anyway, it's nice when something so hollow gets smacked down like a dog. So it was with Pepsi Smash, which got killed in the ratings in its premiere week by something as lowly as the new iteration of The Twilight Zone.

Sanity prevails for once. I guess it's back to the drawing board.