The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, July 17, 2003

METROSEXUALITY
In the wake of the smashing success of Bravo TV's "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy", not to mention Drew Barrymore proudly proclaiming her bi-sexuality, it seems an opportune time to ask: Are you a metrosexual?

Personal checklist: I read GQ monthly, have a subscription to Maxim, both sure indicator signs of my media addiction. And I admit to a strong curiosity in gay culture... not that there's anything wrong with that (right?). Beyond that... I'm not exactly the most stylish bloke on the block, nor do I invest a whole lot into skin/hair care products. So, I'd have to continue to slot myself in the hetero column, square as that may be.

Who does exhibit metrosexual behavior? I think the key trait is simply the desire to be fawned over constantly, regardless of whether it's from male or female admirers. David Beckham is already referenced in the article. I'd say Ricky Martin falls into this category as well; the marketing around him when he first broke onto the scene was clearly positioned to draw in gay men as well as women. Heck, probably just about any pop singer is a metrosexual. Oh, and every woman on the planet, too.