The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, July 26, 2003

THE GREATEST FOOTBALL MOVIE EVER MADE
(blogathon 2003)
Well, not really. Probably not even close. But I'm watching The Best of Times on Comedy Central, and I honestly can't think of another one that's more satisfying. Not Any Given Sunday, not North Dallas Forty.

Then again, it's hard to make a direct comparison, not the least because Best of Times is more a pure comedy than the other two. It has a definite cheesy quality. It's not a shining moment for Robin Williams, or any of the other actors. In fact, this flick was one of a string that Williams made in the post-Mork & Mindy glow of his career that went nowhere and threatened to make him a has-been.

Still, I've grown fond of this middling little movie. The whole small-town malaise getting lifted by a pointless re-play of a high school game is entertaining. I could watch this again and again.