The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, July 26, 2003

BUGS BUNNY SUPERSTAR
(blogathon 2003)
I'm watching Bugs Bunny Superstar, a documentary about the Warner Bros. animation studio during the 30s and 40s, when the animators there created and developed their most famous characters: Bugs, Daffy, Porky, Tweety, Foghorn, Sylvester, etc. The film includes a bunch of full-length cartoon shorts. I'm glad to say that I recognize all of them, having been weaned on them through my entire childhood.

I think everyone who grew up watching TV from the 50s through the 80s have fond memories of the Looney Toons cartoons that were aired repeatedly on weekday afternoon. I'm amazed at how clearly I remember a lot of them; when I see any today, it takes me only a few seconds to remind myself of that particular storyline.

I don't think it's necessary to justify the enjoyment of these cartoons for their own plain comedic value; nothing like gratutious slapstick violence in the form of a cat smacking a mallet over a bulldog's head!

Still, in addition to that, these cartoons were the first source from which I can consciously remember being exposed to classic musicical pieces. I know I'm not alone when I say that whenever I heard Wagner's Flight of the Valkeries, I'm reminded of Elmer Fudd singing "kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit!" in time.